Sacca’s additional time winner lifts Skyhawks to first win in program historical past to open NEWHA play
BRIDGEWATER, Mass. (October 7, 2022) – Freshman ahead Gracie Sacca scored with 1:34 to play in additional time to raise Stonehill College to its first win in program historical past with 4-3 conquer Post University to open New England Women’s Hockey Alliance (NEWHA) play at Bridgewater Ice Arena this night.
- Sacca totaled a target and lend a hand to steer the Stonehill offense that featured 4 first-time target scorers at the evening.
- Freshman Eve Stone made her first collegiate get started in target for Stonehill and completed with 13 saves in going the space in target.
- Freshman Hannah Saunders completed with 30 saves in target for Post.
- Also scoring objectives for Stonehill at the evening had been novices Maddison Achtyl, Hannah Squires and Alexis Petford.
- Sophomore Sheridan Terrazzano contributed a target and lend a hand for Post.
How it Happened
- After a scoreless first by which Stonehill ruled the ice and registered a 10-3 merit in photographs for the length, the Skyhawks dedicated the primary penalty of the evening with a minute to play within the opening body. Post emerged from the primary intermission and opened the scoring with an influence play target from Terrazzano simply 31-seconds into the second one length.
- Neither staff scored the rest of the length after which Stonehill equalized 2:35 into the 3rd as Achtyl potted her first profession target off a feed from Sacca.
- Post reclaimed the lead 12 mins later as Terrazzano grew to become supplier to sophomore Sajel Desai with 5:32 to play.
- That sparked a four-goal flurry which noticed each and every staff rating two times over the following 3 mins, together with 3 objectives inside a 37-second span, that resulted in additional time.
- Squires’ first profession target simply 19-seconds after the target through Desai leveled the sport once more, assisted through freshman Mia Kenmore, with 5:13 last, after which Petford driven the Skyhawks in entrance together with her first collegiate target, assisted through novices Maeve Carey and Lily Barrett every other 18-seconds later with 4:55 last.
- Sophomore Kiersten Browning knotted the rating once more, this time for Post, when her shot from the purpose grabbed a deflection in entrance and were given previous Stone with simply 2:48 left that may ship the sport to additional time.
- That was once the place Sacca delivered the sport winner with a shot to the quick facet at the proper circle to raise Stonehill to its first win in program historical past in simply its 3rd recreation in its NEWHA debut.
- Stonehill’s first win in program historical past is available in simply its 3rd recreation.
- The win is the primary within the head training profession of 2014 Olympic gold medalist Tara Watchorn.
- All 3 Stonehill house video games in its inaugural season, together with the exhibition with University of Moncton, have long past to additional time (1-1-1).
- Two of Post’s 3 objectives got here at the energy play.
- 13 other gamers amassed issues between the 2 groups within the contest, together with six for Stonehill.
Stonehill (1-2-0, 1-0-0 NEWHA) and Post (1-3-0, 1-3-0 NEWHA) have a snappy turnaround, prior to wrapping up their two recreation weekend collection day after today on the Bridgewater Ice Arena at 1 p.m. The recreation will likely be a day doubleheader with the Stonehill males, who will make their NCAA Division I hockey debut through web hosting Long Island University at BIA at 5 p.m.
For the most recent on Stonehill Athletics, observe the Skyhawks by means of social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans too can obtain the Stonehill Skyhawks “Front Row” cellular app, powered through PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.