I guess in the event you’re going to have a former Big XII quarterback as your starter, you’re going to have Big XII high quality protection, which is otherwise of claiming “virtually non-existent defense.”
The Seattle Seahawks offense, even with a gloomy third down efficiency, nonetheless averaged 8 yards in keeping with play and publish 32 issues in opposition to a greater than first rate New Orleans Saints protection. That wins you maximum video games house or away and is the kind of day trip that may make you a playoff crew. The manner the Seahawks protection performs is 0-17 shape, and not like remaining week the offense couldn’t win the shootout. It’s a 39-32 loss to the Saints and a go back to beneath .500.
Winners and Losers time.
The Saints have a top-10 protection through DVOA and the one key avid gamers they have been lacking have been Marcus Maye and P.J. Williams. This used to be a stiffer take a look at than the Detroit Lions or Atlanta Falcons and he delivered. He completed 16/25 for 268 yards, 3 touchdowns, and no turnovers. His day may’ve been higher if no longer for drops (DK Metcalf and Will Dissly, ahem) and a penalty erasing a landing to Metcalf. His accuracy continues to amaze, and the second one TD to Tyler Lockett used to be instantly out of the high Russell Wilson playbook. I’m nonetheless in awe at how he were given that cross dropped right into a bucket.
The handiest primary knock used to be the third and 2 sack, which you can not take. It seemed like Noah Fant used to be open however he didn’t throw his manner, however in lieu of that simply throw the ball away. On the opposite hand, if he’d thrown the ball away… there’s a call Pete Carroll would’ve made involving a 4th and 2 “go for it” or punt. Maybe the sack used to be a hidden just right factor to forestall us from a distinct headache to discuss. (I child, I child)
Geno has held up his finish of the discount. He’s making performs I doubt many right here concept he may make. Short of a seize game-winning force comparable to Wilson’s very best moments (which admittedly hasn’t came about but), I surely have no idea what extra he may do to provoke his greatest critics so far. This offense is if truth be told thrilling and he’s been part of that.
Approaching halftime, Lockett hadn’t even been centered. By the top of the sport he had 104 yards on 5 catches and pair of extraordinary touchdowns that show off why he’s a gradual hand at receiver. Lockett used to be sensational and it certain helped that Geno Smith delivered some absolute dimes.
Kenneth Walker III
The rookie had his step forward second within the type of a 69-yard landing run to in short give the Seahawks the lead. There wasn’t lots of observe from Walker in that sport up till that time, however he did show off why the Seahawks have been excessive at the former Michigan State superstar within the first position. With Rashaad Penny’s season all however completed, Walker might be RB1 the remainder of the way in which.
Coby Bryant and Tariq Woolen
Bryant used to be unfortunate that Olave’s landing used to be given because it used to be a super effort to knock the ball unfastened. Other than that I assumed he used to be forged in protection and for the second one week in a row compelled a fumble. Woolen in the meantime recovered that fumble and recorded his 3rd interception in as many weeks. These guys are making large performs on a weekly foundation and absent the truth that the total unit is porous, it’s a must to be inspired through those two.
Big Al Woods
Unfortunately his knee harm places his speedy taking part in standing in jeopardy, however he’s necessarily all of the run protection and when he tackles any person they lose ALL in their ahead momentum. I am hoping his harm isn’t critical as a result of if he’s out, this already deficient run protection simply were given a complete lot worse.
Honestly? Just for no longer being Josh Jones. And he surely stored a landing and made some seize third down stops.
Defense, protection, protection
Really it’s simply the run protection as a result of I don’t suppose the cross protection used to be all that unhealthy. Hell, I favored the blitz applications and sending Jordyn Brooks as an additional rusher. Andy Dalton used to be handiest sacked as soon as however he used to be stressed on a number of different events and hit 5 occasions. But holy shit this run protection is a nightmare. If Pete Carroll said any court cases about him being concerned an excessive amount of in regards to the working sport, then it used to be grossly misinterpreted. Taysom Hill is typically going to run the ball when he’s in at quarterback, and the Seahawks seemed staggeringly unprepared. They have compelled NO tackles for loss in opposition to the run for 2 instantly weeks.
This used to be a seriously undermanned Saints offense and they nonetheless gave up 39. The Seahawks defensive position looks as if the worst within the league through a large distance. Poona Ford and Bryan Mone specifically appear manner overmatched and they have been the simpler portions of this protection during the last couple of seasons. Is it the full-time scheme transfer? I don’t know. But they’re appalling to look at and appear incapable of making improvements to. I’m no longer in “Fire Clint Hurtt” mode although that is worse than all of the Ken Norton Jr technology, however the group of workers in this facet of the ball must be below scrutiny for this ineptitude.
Refs, refs, refs
There have been numerous authentic consequences the Seahawks took and the ill-disciplined nature of this crew has to forestall. The cling that Charles Cross used to be flagged for used to be reputedly no longer referred to as at the Saints in any respect even if there have been cases a cling will have to’ve been referred to as. The Tariq Woolen cling used to be absurd and prolonged a force. I don’t agree that Metcalf’s fumble will have to’ve stood — it’s both incomplete or catch and down through touch. I’ll be debatable and say the Chris Olave landing used to be right kind and that the 3rd step used to be the extra act that nullified the “going to the ground” rule. But typically it used to be no longer a well-officiated sport. They’re no longer the explanation the Seahawks misplaced but it surely certain felt like there used to be house cooking occurring. I’d reasonably no longer see Brad Allen’s staff once more.
Jason Myers neglected an additional level, which reputedly brought about that two-point conversion try within the 4th quarter. Michael Dickson reputedly freelanced on a rugby-style punt that became a crisis. Why no longer do just a typical punt formation? There used to be a block within the again penalty on a Seahawks punt versus a go back! Larry Izzo’s unit seemed out of types and made some essential errors.
I’ve to move right here at this level although I really like Quandre: He’s no longer taking part in like a high-end protection. The harm he’s getting back from is not at all a very easy one to go back from, however he struggled mightily this afternoon and actually hasn’t factored a lot this season. Tackling hasn’t ever been his energy however the profitable Taysom Hill landing doesn’t occur with out his whiff within the open box, and he gave up a TD to Adam Trautman on the finish of the third quarter. Safety used to be intended to be the most efficient a part of Seattle’s protection, and during the Adams harm, Josh Jones’ deficient play, and Diggs’ deficient play this can be a game-breaking legal responsibility.
On the outside, 5 catches for 88 yards and a landing is cool. Hell, he used to be unfortunate that any other landing used to be burnt up because of a lame preserving penalty. He additionally dropped a large open landing within the 1st part that became a TD right into a box objective, and whilst I don’t agree that he fumbled within the third quarter it nonetheless used to be a case of deficient ball safety from any person who has a historical past of doing so. The drop bothers me much more as a result of the ones are the performs you wish to have to make as a top-flight WR, however the fumbling has to forestall. He’s a number of the worst offenders amongst vast receivers and not like different dudes forward of him he doesn’t go back kicks or punts.
He can’t shed blocks. At all. Whether in opposition to OL or Taysom Hill, he’s overmatched and there’s no more sensible choice in this roster. Great particular groups contributor, however that’s it.
Seriously, what used to be that broadcast? I’m satisfied he referred to as out one of the crucial questionable consequences however past that he used to be simply flat out ignoring accidents taking place at the box and on digicam, no longer figuring out the foundations of the sport, or staring at an glaring penalty (like Marshon Lattimore’s on Dee Eskridge) and considering that their ft tangled. At least Brandon Gaudin used to be a just right pay attention out of doors of considering the Seahawks going for two down 31-25 would make it a 3-point sport.
- Will Dissly had an unsightly drop that stalled a force, which makes it his first incomplete goal of the season. Luckily Noah Fant stepped up and had 3 catches for 47 yards. I think just like the boot-action used to be defended significantly better through New Orleans than Detroit.
- It felt like Shane Waldron attempted to determine the run somewhat an excessive amount of early on, and it contributed to one of the crucial much less a hit Seahawks possessions. Outside of the Walker landing and large Rashaad Penny run, there wasn’t a complete lot occurring relating to house for backs to function. Not pronouncing it used to be badly referred to as sport but it surely used to be asymmetric to me.
- The assistant trainer who merits essentially the most reward to me is if truth be told Andy Dickerson, for the reason that cross coverage continues to carry up nicely and he used to be dealt a hard hand with two rookie tackles. If the run-blocking can proceed to fortify this may well be a top-10 OL.
- I think so unhealthy for Rashaad Penny. He has no longer long past a 12 months of his profession with out some type of harm and now he has his 2nd critical one, a fractured tibia. Forget his long run with the Seahawks, working backs have notoriously brief shelf lives and this used to be a “prove-it” 12 months of types and now it’s been lower brief. Just wishing a complete restoration for him and that he can proceed taking part in within the NFL, whether or not right here or somewhere else.
- Marshawn Lynch didn’t omit a sport from 2012-2014. Since then, the Seahawks have long past 8 instantly seasons with a minimum of certainly one of their working backs struggling a season-ending harm. It is astonishingly unhealthy success.
- The state of this defensive position is, at this level, a big reason why for no longer in need of Pete Carroll to guide a roster rebuild. This is 4 years of attempting to find a reliable cross rush post-Frank Clark industry, and it has time and again ended in failure. At least that they had run protection as a crutch in lieu of that however now they’re simply not able to generate drive with 4 AND are a sieve in opposition to the run. Legion of Boom 2.0 isn’t going to occur regardless of how a lot Pete invests within the secondary. There is a top class put at the trenches within the NFL and the Seahawks have failed miserably to fortify the defensive position. Too many one-year stopgap answers, too many failed draft alternatives, too many underwhelming effects. You would suppose Pete would pay attention to this given the upward push of the Seahawks protection incorporated the purchase of Chris Clemons, however as a substitute we get this mess. I’m uninterested in staring at it. Carroll is nowhere closer to discovering an answer.
- Oh glance. Arizona at house. That at all times is going nicely. At least Colt McCoy isn’t slated to start out.