UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. – The 18th-ranked Penn State Nittany Lions proceed their non-conference time table as they welcome the St. Thomas Tommies to Hockey Valley to open Homecoming Weekend with a Thursday-Friday collection at Pegula Ice Arena.
FOLLOW THE ACTION
Dates: Thursday, October 20 | Friday, October 21
Place: Pegula Ice Arena | (*18*) Park, Pa.
Time: THU: 7:00 p.m. | FRI: 7:00 p.m.
Tickets: Thursday | Friday
Streaming Video: Thursday | Friday
Listen: Thursday | Friday
Live Statistics: Live Stats
Game Notes: Penn State
THIS WEEK’S MATCHUP
- This weekend marks the 3rd and fourth conferences within the all-time collection and the second-straight season the groups will meet after Penn State left St. Paul remaining November with a couple of victories, 5-1 and 4-1.
- The Tommies went 3-32-1 remaining season with two wins over Ferris State and one opposed to Lake Superior State all through their inaugural Division I marketing campaign. St. Thomas went 3-22-1 within the CCHA and noticed its season finish within the CCHA quarterfinals opposed to Minnesota State after shedding each video games, 3-2 and 8-2.
- Junior Tyler Paquette scored 3 aims all through the two-game sweep remaining season together with his moment profession multi-goal recreation within the opener. Senior Kevin Wall additionally tallied a couple of aims every coming in the second one recreation whilst including an help for 3 issues opposed to the Tommies. Senior Ben Copeland had two assists in every recreation opposed to St. Thomas remaining 12 months.
- Junior goaltender Liam Souliere began the second one recreation permitting only one target on 13 photographs.
- The Tommies had simply 27 photographs within the two-game collection remaining November together with simply 13 within the collection finale tying the report for the fewest photographs allowed via Penn State in one recreation in program historical past.
SCOUTING ST. THOMAS
- St. Thomas is 1-3-0 in its first 4 video games of the 2022-2023 season and input the week coming off a bye. The Tommies were outscored 13-6 this season with fighters just about doubling the choice of photographs on target St. Thomas has taken (117-68). The Tommies rank tied for 52nd nationally with their 1.5 aims in keeping with recreation whilst their photographs in keeping with recreation reasonable of 16.5 is simply 0.5 higher than Stonehill for remaining in Division I. Penn State leads the country in each photographs in keeping with recreation and aims in keeping with recreation this season at 44.3 and 5.5, respectively.
- The Tommies go back 3 in their top-5 scorers from remaining season led via Luke Manning who paced St. Thomas with 8 aims and 15 issues. Matthew Jennings additionally returns after tying for the group lead with 10 assists and score moment with 14 issues.
- St. Thomas is paced via 12 beginners on its 2022-23 roster. Out of the ones 12, ten place taking part in beginners have mixed for 4 aims and 5 assists for 9 issues. As an entire St. Thomas has simply 16 issues in the course of the first 4 video games this season with the beginners accounting for 56 p.c of the entire offense up to now.
- Ryan O’Neill and Lucas Wahlin lead the Tommies with one target and two assists for 3 issues whilst classmate Josh Eernisse scored the extra time winner to safe the 3-2 victory over Alaska within the group’s remaining recreation again on October 8.
- A couple of beginners have additionally accounted for the entire motion in web this season after St. Thomas misplaced either one of its number one goaltenders from remaining season in Peter Thome and Jacob Berger to commencement. Thome registered an .878 save proportion and allowed 4.33 aims in keeping with recreation in 29 appearances between the pipes remaining season. Ethan Roberts and Aaron Trotter have manned the crease in St. Thomas’ first 4 video games this season. Trotter is 1-2-0 with an .886 save proportion and three.04 goals-against reasonable whilst Roberts is 0-1-0 permitting 4.01 aims in keeping with recreation with an .895 save proportion.
- St. Thomas has struggled on particular groups to get started the 12 months going simply 1-for-17 at the guy merit to rank forty eighth nationally at 6.3 p.c. The Tommies are 16-for-22 (72.7 p.c) at the PK this season score center of the pack nationally within the early going.
- Head trainer Rico Blasi ranks 8th amongst lively coaches with 402 victories as he enters his twenty second season of training and moment at St. Thomas. Blasi used to be the bench boss at Miami (OH) from 1999-2019.
WE LOVE RED LAMP
- Penn State’s 22 aims this season are the second one maximum within the country only one shy of Western Michigan’s 23, on the other hand, the Broncos have performed yet another recreation than the Nittany Lions.
- Penn State is averaging 5.50 aims in keeping with recreation over the primary 4 video games this season a mark that tops the country whilst its 44.3 photographs in keeping with recreation also are probably the most within the nation.
- On the opposite Penn State is permitting simply 2.80 aims in keeping with recreation and 28.0 photographs in keeping with recreation to rank center of the pack throughout Division I.
CONTROLLING THE DOT
- Penn State is these days main the Big Ten and ranks moment within the country profitable 59.5 p.c (154-for-259) of its attracts. Bemidji State leads the way in which at 62 p.c however has performed two much less video games than the Nittany Lions.
- Connor MacEachern leads Penn State at 65.6 p.c (42-for-64) a mark just right for moment within the Big Ten and 7th within the country amongst centermen averaging a minimum of 5 faceoffs in keeping with recreation.
- Danny Dzhaniyev and Ture Linden also are above 60 p.c in the course of the first 5 video games this season at 65 p.c and 64.2 p.c, respectively. Linden’s 52 faceoff wins are the second one maximum within the Big Ten and rank eleventh nationally.
YOU’RE MY WONDERWALL
- Senior Kevin Wall has lit the lamp in every of Penn State’s 4 video games this season tying his career-long target streak. Wall’s 4 aims are tied for the Big Ten lead and rank moment nationally only one at the back of Omaha’s Jack Randl. Wall has added a trio of assists for seven issues, a mark just right for 3rd within the B1G and tied 6th within the country.
GET HOT, STAY HOT
- Sophomore Ben Schoen used to be named B1G Hockey First Star of the Week after amassing 4 issues on one target and 3 assists all through a sweep over Mercyhurst. The sophomore tied his career-high with 3 issues on one target and two assists Thursday evening prior to including an help at the eventual game-winning tally on Friday in Erie.
- Schoen has registered a minimum of one level in every recreation this season after finishing the 2021-22 marketing campaign with issues in three-straight for a career-best seven-game point-streak. He additionally now has assists in seven-straight video games, which may be a career-best, and only one recreation shy of Trevor Hamilton’s program report eight-game assist-streak all through the 2016-17 season. Penn State’s point-streak report is 11 video games and used to be set via Evan Barratt in 2018.
- Schoen’s six issues this season are these days tied for fourth within the Big Ten whilst his 5 assists are tied for moment within the convention and 7th within the country.
LUCKY NUMBER :07
- Senor Ture Linden lit the lamp simply seven seconds into the primary length remaining Thursday marking the quickest target to open a recreation in Penn State historical past, a complete six seconds quicker than Casey Bailey’s target at UConn on January 5, 2013.
- Linden has a minimum of one level in every recreation as a Nittany Lion with 3 multi-point efforts to his title. The senior’s four-game level streak is only one shy of his career-long five-game streak he accomplished again in March at RPI.
- Ture leads the group and is tied for the Big Ten lead with 8 issues thru his first 4 video games in Hockey Valley, a mark that is tied for moment nationally. His six assists additionally lead the group and rank moment within the Big Ten and tied for 3rd nationally.
- Linden’s line with Kevin Wall and Ryan Kirwan has accounted for 9 aims and 12 assists for 21 issues in 4 video games this season with a plus/minus of plus-24. The 21 issues account for 37 p.c of Penn State general offense whilst the 9 aims are 40.9 p.c of the target scoring.
- Wall these days leads the country at plus-9 whilst Kirwan is tied for moment at plus-8 and Linden and teammate Jimmy Dowd Jr. rank tied for fourth at plus-7.
GET AHEAD, STAY AHEAD
- Penn State has scored first in every of its 4 video games this season after doing so 21 instances a season in the past going 16-4-1 when lighting fixtures the lamp first in 2021-22.
- Penn State has opened the season 4-0-0 for simply the second one time in its temporary 11-year historical past and the primary time since a 6-0-0 get started to start the 2018-19 season. The Nittany Lions completed that marketing campaign with its second-most wins all-time at 22-15-2 and complicated to the B1G Championship recreation prior to falling to Notre Dame 3-2. Penn State used to be the remaining group out of the NCAA Tournament that 12 months completing sixteenth within the Pairwise.
- The Nittany Lions are simply two wins clear of 100 at Pegula Ice Arena. The Nittany Lions input the weekend 98-54-14 all-time at Pegula.
IN GUY WE TRUST
- Now in his eleventh season in Hockey Valley, head trainer Guy Gadowsky is 176-152-24 at the back of the Penn State bench.
- The 2014-15 Big Ten Coach of the Year registered his three hundredth profession victory in 2019-20 and sits only one shy of 350 score thirty seventh amongst Division I coaches all-time and is these days thirteenth amongst lively NCAA Division I coaches with 349 wins.
HOMECOMING PARADE FRIDAY PARKING ADVISORY
- Due to the Homecoming Parade starting at 6 p.m., enthusiasts will have to be expecting heavier site visitors and highway closures Friday night. Curtin Road will shut at 5:30 p.m. and parts of Porter Road won’t open till after 6 p.m. (*18*) Drive may have delays and will have to check out to be have shyed away from. Hockey top rate parking allow holders are to be of their loads via 5:30 p.m. or will have to park within the Stadium West or Jordan East lot.
- Like remaining season, parking for Penn State males’s ice hockey video games at Pegula Ice Arena will probably be to be had on the following places starting two hours prior to the beginning of the sport: Stadium West, Jordan East and Porter North.
- There is not any price for the ones consumers will a legitimate Penn State parking allow.
- Prepaid parking is to be had in the course of the ParkCell App for $5.50 thru nighttime the evening prior to the development or for $10 at the day of the development. Season parking applications also are to be had for $100 thru October 6.
- For Men’s Hockey video games that overlap with Bryce Jordan Center occasions, day-of-event fee could also be as excessive as $30 for the ones and not using a allow or prepayment. There also are $1 in keeping with hour parking choices to be had on the East Deck for many video games.
- ParkCell prepayment availability ends at 11:59 p.m. the evening prior to every occasion. Events might not be selectable at the website after that point, and fee will have to then be made on website upon arrival to occasion parking body of workers (money most effective).
- Penn State opens Big Ten play at the highway for the fourth time up to now six seasons once they commute to Madison subsequent weekend to fight the Badgers.
- This marks the fourth time the Nittany Lions have opened Big Ten play opposed to Wisconsin and the 3rd time in Madison. Penn State has received the remaining 4 video games between the groups as a part of a Big Ten opening collection together with convincing 6-1 and 4-2 wins at Pegula on Halloween Weekend 2019.
For additional info at the 2022-23 season introduced via the Penn State Bookstore: Official Bookstore of Penn State Athletics, seek advice from the boys’s hockey web page at GoPSUsports.com or name 1-800-NITTANY Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.