CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Junior Siofra Murdoch scored the game-winning function without a time at the clock in double extra time to boost No. 15 Harvard box hockey (9-3) to a 2-1 win over UMass-Lowell (9-4) on Sunday afternoon at Berylson Field.
Harvard ruled the outlet part, outshooting UMass-Lowell, 9-0, and out cornering the River Hawks, 4-0, however the Crimson simplest led 1-0 on the damage.
First-year Bronte-May Brough scored her crew main 6th function of the of the season on one in every of Harvard’s first penalty nook alternatives of the sport.
Junior Mazarine Broze inserted to first-year stopper Kitty Chapple, who fired a shot from proper to left into the cage with 8:33 to play in the primary quarter to make it 1-0 Harvard.
The ranking remained that method on the damage, and the visiting River Hawks increased their play in the 3rd quarter.
Senior goalkeeper Ellie Shahbo made her first forestall of the day on a UMass-Lowell penalty nook simply six mins into the 3rd quarter, sprawling to her proper to make a stick save.
With not up to a minute to move in the quarter, Shahbo made any other giant forestall on a shot by way of Berbel Rozema from in just about stay Harvard in entrance.
However, Rozema evened the ranking for UMass-Lowell with simply over a minute to play in legislation, reducing within the best of the circle and firing a well-placed shot into the again proper nook of the web to tie the sport with 1:13 to play.
Neither crew broke thru in the extra time frames till Harvard earned a sequence of penalty corners with below 20 seconds to play. On the second one penalty nook, after UMass-Lowell goalkeeper stopped Bronte-May Brough’s preliminary shot, Murdoch batted the rebound into the open internet to offer Harvard the dramatic victory.
- Harvard stepped forward to 3-0 in extra time contests this season.
- Harvard stepped forward to a really perfect 7-0 all time in video games towards UMass-Lowell.
- In a stretch of 34 video games relationship again to the top of the 2019 season, Harvard has now not allowed greater than two targets in a sport. Harvard is 29-5 in that span.
- Junior Siofra Murdoch recorded her first occupation game-winning OT function.
- First-year Bronte-May Brough (function) now leads the crew in targets (six) and issues (13).
- Sophomore Siena Horton recorded a defensive save in extra time.
- Senior goalkeeper Ellie Shahbo (3 saves) picked up her 48th occupation win in internet.
- The Crimson outshot Umass-Lowell 13-5 (pictures on function) and had an 12-4 edge on penalty corners.
Harvard will play a couple of video games subsequent weekend, kicking of play with a sport at Dartmouth on Friday (Oct. 14) at 4 p.m. The Crimson will then go back house on Oct. 16 to tackle Delaware at 12 p.m. Both video games will air on ESPN+.