Good morning, Birdland!
The LCS matchups in the respective leagues couldn’t be extra other.
On the NL facet, now we have two wild playing cards that each slayed their in-division dragons to get thus far. The Phillies took down the protecting champion Braves, and the Padres knocked off the juggernaut Dodgers. Regardless of who finally ends up getting a place in the World Series, it’ll be a recent face.
On the AL facet, it’s the Astros…once more. They were in each ALCS since 2017. In many ways, this is encouraging as an Orioles fan who recently has an Astros alum calling the pictures. But as a extra basic baseball fan, it’s kinda lame. And their pageant is the Yankees. We have noticed this matchup two times already since 2017. The Astros received each instances, and there appears to be one thing of a competition there, with Yankee fans believing that they had been without equal sufferers of the Astros trash can controversy from a number of years in the past.
Regardless of all of this, many people in this web page have a relatively transparent trail for rooting interest. Trey Mancini is an Astro. We shall be rooting for the Astros.
Mancini has had a coarse time with the Astros from a manufacturing point of view. He hit simply .176/.258/364 over 51 video games in the common season, and he’s 0-for-6 with successful by means of pitch up to now in the postseason. But issues can alternate at anytime, and it might really feel just right for that turnaround to come back in opposition to the pinstripers.
Could Orioles box a homegrown lineup in 2023? | Roch Kubatko
Yes, perhaps as a Sunday punt lineup. But it no doubt wouldn’t be optimum as an on a regular basis possibility if the Orioles are really looking to put the most productive staff at the box. The staff must improve up and down the roster, and that suggests one of the homegrown skills (specifically Jordan Westburg and Joey Ortiz) would possibly want to be traded to make that occur.
An added size: Digging into outstanding Orioles’ prospect energy numbers in the context in their present and long term house parks | Jon Meoli
It’s best on season, however the Orioles do appear to have a house box benefit that they may be able to now construct the roster round. That’s a beautiful tough issue that this group hasn’t ever truly had.
Pirates Claim Ali Sánchez, Beau Sulser; Designate José Godoy | MLB Trade Rumors
The Orioles could have to move with out a Sulser sibling in 2023 now that Beau was once claimed by means of the Pirates. However, a handy guide a rough Google tells me that Cole and Beau have a sister identify Tiffany. She is in the Coast Guard, however don’t underneath estimate Mike Elias’ creativity in roster building.
Is it your birthday? Happy birthday!
- Anthony Santander turns 28 these days. The switch-hitting former Rule 5 pick out simply wrapped up his 6th season in the Orioles group, his very best but with 33 house runs and a 117 OPS+.
- Jordan Lyles celebrates his thirty second birthday. He got here up massive for the 2022 Orioles, tossing 179 innings and compiling a 4.42 ERA. Whether or no longer his $11 million possibility for 2023 is picked up is without doubt one of the giant questions going through the Orioles this offseason.
- José Bautista is 42. He made his identify as a hated slugger for the department rival Blue Jays, however earlier than that he spent a part of the 2004 season with the Orioles after being plucked from the Pirates in the Rule 5 draft.
- Oswaldo Peraza turns 60. His complete MLB profession got here in 19 video games for the 1988 O’s. He tossed 86 innings and had a 5.55 ERA.
- The overdue Vic Roznovsky (b. 1938, d. 2022) was once born on this present day. The catcher spent two seasons with the Orioles, together with the World Series championship squad in 1966.
This day in historical past
Not a lot has came about in Orioles historical past on this present day, in step with Baseball Reference. Here’s how issues have spread out out of doors of Birdland:
1789 – John Jay is sworn in as the primary Chief Justice of the United States.
1955 – The first Eurovision Song Contest is authorized for staging by means of the General Assembly of the European Broadcasting Union.
1987 – The Dow Jones Industrial Average falls by means of 22%, an tournament referred to as “Black Monday.”