1. The ratings for the primary Thursday Night Football sport on Amazon Prime Video got here out Thursday morning.
What you want to understand:
The first Thursday Night Football sport on Prime Video between the Chargers and Chiefs final Thursday drew 13 million audience.
According to studies, 11.8 million folks watched on Prime Video, whilst 1.2 million watched on over-the-air TV within the native markets of Los Angeles and Kansas City.
Amazon says while you come with its different choices for Thursday Night Football, such because the Dude Perfect feed and folks gazing by means of Twitch, the typical target market was once 15.3 million audience.
Amazon additionally says that Thursday Night Football on Prime Video was once the most-watched program of the night time throughout broadcast or cable, with CBS’s Young Sheldon drawing handiest 3.5 million audience in comparison to TNF’s 13 million.
That is a superb quantity for the debut telecast, and Amazon and the NFL need to be more than pleased with it. There have been nonetheless a variety of folks as of final Thursday who didn’t notice the sport may well be watched handiest via streaming it on Prime. You must assume viewership will build up because the season is going on and extra folks uncover they want to enroll in Amazon Prime to look at Thursday Night Football.
Scheduling issues right here as neatly. Amazon had an excellent Week 2 fit with the Chargers and Chiefs. Are NFL fanatics going to verify they track in for Mitchell Trubisky vs. Jacoby Brissett this night the way in which they tuned in for Justin Herbert vs. Patrick Mahomes? You’d assume no longer. However, the Steelers’ and Browns’ fan base is roughly one billion occasions extra passionate than no matter fan base the Chargers have, in order that will lend a hand.
Would those video games draw extra audience on linear tv? Yes. Both Sunday Night Football and Monday Night Football drew 20 million-plus audience in Week 2. But Amazon isn’t going to attract that quantity for its first broadcast. The key might be enlargement all over the season.
The base line:
While it’s amusing for sports activities media nerds like me to research the ratings, it’s beautiful inappropriate, as a result of Amazon has an 11-year contract with the NFL to air Thursday Night Football, and the NFL is pocketing $1 billion a yr from Amazon for the rights to these video games. So whether or not the sport drew 13 million or 3 million, you’re going to be gazing TNF on Prime Video for a very long time.
However, what can’t be denied is that soccer fanatics will to find the video games regardless of the place and after they air.
2. A brand-new SI Media Podcast dropped this morning, and my visitor this week is the NFL Network’s Rich Eisen.
Eisen, who additionally hosts a day by day display for Westwood One Radio and Roku, mentioned just lately re-signing with the NFL Network and his response to seeing a document that he was once a loose agent after he reupped with NFL Network. Other subjects coated come with what we like concerning the NFL after two weeks, what Eisen would trade concerning the NFL, his ideas on Amazon Prime’s Thursday Night Football and the Monday Night Football overlap doubleheader.
Following Eisen, Sal Licata from WFAN radio and SNY TV in New York joins me for our weekly “Traina Thoughts” section. This week, we speak about DirecTV’s streaming problems right through Week 2, Sal laments the truth that he needed to leave out a up to date tournament and Jimmy reads contemporary SI Media Podcast Apple critiques. We additionally give out their NFL Week 3 perfect bets.
You can concentrate to the podcast under or obtain it on Apple, Spotify and Google.
You too can watch the SI Media Podcast on YouTube.
3. Popular Reds first baseman Joey Votto, who has been out for some time with an harm, gave the fanatics a deal with final night time when he simply walked across the ballpark to catch up with probably the most Cincy devoted.
4. One of the most efficient new bits within the present sports activities media panorama is Kyle Brandt’s giving Josh Allen a Nineteen Eighties/’90s film to look at each and every week and Allen giving a evaluate on Brandt’s new day by day display, Kyle Brandt’s Basement. It was once stunning to look Allen, who seems at the display each and every Tuesday, have an appreciation for National Lampoon’s Vacation.
5. These two tweets about Aaron Judge perhaps passing Roger Maris’s 61 house runs and the possible price of the house run ball made me do a real-life LOL.
6. Funny stuff right here from Lamar Jackson who printed that he was once in whole surprise when he met Bill Belichick, and Belichick in fact smiled.
7. RANDOM VIDEO OF THE DAY: On this date in 1997, “Stone Cold” Steve Austin gave Vince McMahon the Stunner for the primary time in Madison Square Garden. My favourite a part of this enormous second will all the time be Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler screaming about Austin going to prison.
Be positive to atone for previous editions of Traina Thoughts and try the Sports Illustrated Media Podcast hosted via Jimmy Traina on Apple, Spotify or Google. You too can observe Jimmy on Twitter, Instagram and TikTok.