The 2022 Major League Baseball season is winding down, and the focal point is at the race for playoff spots. Three groups (the Dodgers, Astros and Mets have clinched playoff berths, however fairly somewhat nonetheless hangs within the stability with two weeks left within the common season.
The league-leading Dodgers changed into the primary staff to clinch a playoff berth, doing so final week ( ). Los Angeles then clinched its 9th NL West name in 10 years. The Astros clinched the AL West on Monday night time, the similar day the Mets clinched their first playoff berth since 2016. The Braves, who’re nonetheless one recreation again of the Mets within the NL East, punched their playoff price ticket on Tuesday.
The NL East and AL Central are nonetheless hotly contested, and within the NL the Padres, Phillies, and Brewers are jousting for the general two wild-card spots. In the AL, the Rays, Blue Jays, and Mariners are necessarily locked into the 3 wild-card spots, and are struggling with over seeding.
Now let’s bounce into the detailed standings, present playoff matchups, and postseason odds, and let’s additionally recall that the construction of the postseason is other beginning this yr.
- Dodgers: Clinched NL West, first-round bye
- Astros: Clinched AL West
- Mets: Clinched playoff berth
- Braves: Clinched playoff berth
The new, 12-team playoff format
During the hot negotiation of the new collective bargaining settlement, avid gamers and homeowners agreed to a new and expanded postseason construction transferring ahead. That new construction starts with the present season, and here is a reminder of ways it’s going to paintings.
- The postseason area grows from 10 groups to twelve groups with the addition of an additional wild-card entrant in each and every league.
- The Wild Card Game has been changed by way of the best-of-three Wild Card Series, which purposes as the primary around of play. The upper seed in each and every Wild Card Series will host the entire video games of that sequence, be it two or the utmost 3 video games.
- The best two department winners in each and every league, as decided by way of ultimate total report all the way through the common season, get a first-round bye. That method they advance directly to the best-of-five Division Series that purposes as the second one around.
- The 4 wild-card around contributors in each and every league include the department winner with the worst report amongst department winners and the 3 non-division winners with the finest information. That department winner is routinely the No. 3 seed irrespective of whether or not one or all the different wild-card groups has a greater report.
- To summarize, here is how the playoff seeding will paintings in each and every league — No. 1 seed (bye to LDS): Best report in league; No. 2 seed (bye to LDS): Second-best report amongst department winners; No. 3 seed: Third-best report amongst department winners; No. 4 seed: Best report amongst wild-card groups; No. 5 seed: Second-best report amongst wild-card groups; No. 6 seed: Third-best report amongst wild-card groups.
The League Championship Series and World Series stay best-of-seven sequence with home-field merit going to the staff with the finest report in each and every sequence. Note that there is no re-seeding after any around.
Got it? Now here is the place issues stand at the moment with regards to the races for those berths and seeds.
If the season ended these days…
- Byes: No. 1 Astros and No. 2 Yankees
- Wild Card Series: No. 5 Rays at No. 4 Blue Jays (winner faces No. 1 seed)
- Wild Card Series: No. 6 Mariners at No. 3 Guardians (winner faces No. 2 seed)
- Byes: No. 1 Dodgers and No. 2 Mets
- Wild Card Series: No. 5 Padres at No. 4 Braves (winner faces No. 1 seed)
- Wild Card Series: No. 6 Phillies at No. 3 Cardinals (winner faces No. 2 seed)
(Postseason projections are from SportsLine; expanded standings can also be considered right here)
|Houston (clinched AL West)||98||51||—||100.0%|
|L.A. Angels (eradicated)||65||83||32.5||0.0%|
MLB wild-card standings
|NL WILD CARD||W||L||WCGB|
|Atlanta (clinched playoff berth)||94||55||+12.5|