UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. — Tessa Janecke scored two times and added a overdue help to offer No. 14 Penn State its first victory over a top-five ranked crew in program historical past, because the Nittany Lions defeated No. 2 Wisconsin, 4-1, Thursday night time within Pegula Ice Arena.
“Since last season, the players have worked incredibly hard on culture and what they want to accomplish this year,” mentioned head trainer Jeff Kampersal. “Focus on core values, habits and championship evidence. It’s not going to go perfectly for us all season, but this is a great start.”
CHAMP HISTORY: Here’s each and every NC ladies’s hockey champion since 2001
How it took place
Wisconsin struck first as Casey O’Brien put one in the again of the online on a shorthanded rush beating goaltender Josie Bothun after a collision with a teammate led to the puck to slide below her pad with 14:17 left in the primary duration.
Penn State grabbed the equalizer on the 8:08 mark of the second one duration as Janecke sniped a shot from the appropriate circle previous the blocker of Badger netminder Cami Kronish and throughout the a long way publish.
The Nittany Lions were not completed and secured the 2-1 lead just below 3 mins later as senior Eleri MacKay discovered Kiara Zanon at the close to publish with a again door feed on the 11:57 mark for the eventual game-winning objective.
Janecke notched her 2d tally of the night time after intercepting a clearing strive from the a long way part wall and ripped a wrister previous the blocker of Kronish throughout the power-play at 6:32 of the 3rd duration.
Julie Gough capped the scoring as she slotted house the empty netter on a breakaway after receiving a go from Kendall Butze at 19:24 of the 3rd.
Bothun stopped 27 photographs together with 9 over 5 penalty kills to publish a .964 save share and fortify to 1-0-0 at the 12 months.
Game notes and stats
- This is Penn State’s highest-ranked win in its 11-year historical past.
- Penn State earned its first win as a program in opposition to Wisconsin making improvements to to 1-2-0. This is handiest the second one time a CHA crew has defeated the Badgers (50-2-0).
- This marks simply the second one common season non-conference loss for Wisconsin since 2009.
- Five Nittany Lions scored their first issues in Blue and White this night; freshman Tessa Janecke scored a objective in the second one duration assisted via switch Courtney Correia and freshman Katelyn Roberts, adopted via switch Eleri MacKay and freshman Kendall Butze incomes assists on separate objectives.
- Zanon tallied her seventieth occupation level (24G, 46A) in the second one duration, whilst additionally incomes her 7th game-winning objective, transferring right into a tie with Amy Petersen ’17 for fourth in program historical past.
- Janecke posted 3 issues (2G, 1A) in her Penn State debut. She additionally led the crew in blocked photographs with 5.
- Penn State had 22 blocked photographs as a crew to simply six for Wisconsin.
- Penn State went 1-for-4 at the continual play and was once a super 5-for-5 at the penalty kill.