Detroit Red Wings first spherical draft pick out Sebastian Cossa believes he’s able for professional hockey and is providing proof to enhance that verdict.
The 6-foot-6 goaltender grew to become in some other sturdy efficiency — preventing all 16 pictures he confronted — within the Red Wings’ 4-1 win opposed to the Toronto Maple Leafs of their ultimate sport on the NHL Prospect Tournament in Traverse City, Mich. Cossa completed the event with 33 saves on 34 pictures on objective for a 1.00 goals-against moderate and a .971 save share. He performed about half-hour in Detroit’s two event wins, despite the fact that he didn’t get credit score for both win.
“I think I kept my stance pretty tight,” Cossa stated. “This weekend I was playing composed hockey. I was calm. Playing my own game. I was keeping pucks in. Was getting a little crazy or a little scrambly in net sometimes. I thought it was pretty good, especially coming in today halfway, those are tough games and I thought I did a pretty good job composing myself and just taking it shot by shot.”
This is solely the early phases of this trial by means of pageant. Cossa is solely 19, and NHL groups traditionally go back goalies to junior hockey at that age. But GM Steve Yzerman hasn’t hinted about Cossa’s speedy long term. The Red Wings haven’t advised Cossa the rest, which might imply they would like further viewing in coaching camp and in all probability preseason video games.
“Still up in the air,” Cossa stated. “I haven’t been told much. Camp starts soon and continuing to show what I have to offer. Like I said at development camp, I’m trying to play at the highest level this year and doing everything in my power to do that but obviously at the end of the day it’s not my decision.”
Cossa’s Preference Clear
He doesn’t need to go back to junior.
“I want to play at the highest level I can, so that’s professional this year,” Cossa stated. Hopefully my sport does the speaking for itself and permits me to be up for that stage.”
Cossa wasn’t at his easiest within the Red Wings’ construction camp previous this season. He will want to be sharp in coaching camp to make his case. He is aware of that goalies can take longer to expand, however that doesn’t have to be the case.
“The past couple years there’s been some younger guys –you look at (Florida Panthers’) Spencer Knight, he came in at 19,” Cossa stated. “…They’re making that jump a little earlier. At the same time, there’s obviously a reason there’s only 62 goalies in the NHL. They’re pretty good for a reason. There’s still a lot of things to work on to get to that level. Looking forward to that.”
Ben Simon coached Cossa at this event. He’s additionally the Grand Rapids’ Griffins trainer. He concept Cossa performed neatly within the event.
“As a player all you can do is show up ready to compete and when the opportunity is there make the most of it,” Simon stated. “You can see that he’s ready, he’s hungry, and let’s see what happens in camp.”
Facts and Observations
- The Red Wings had been 2-1 within the NHL Prospect Tournament. Before beating Toronto, the Red Wings downed the Columbus Blue Jackets 5-2 and misplaced 5-4 to the Dallas Stars. The Dallas Stars and Columbus Blue Jackets had been additionally 2-1, whilst the St. Louis Blues had been 1-2 and the Maple Leafs had been 1-3
- Simon stated Cross Hanas had a “good three days” after posting two aims and two assists in 3 video games. He will most probably play in Grand Rapids this season.
- Detroit prospect goalie Jan Bednar solely gave up one objective in 25 pictures (1.01 GAA and .960 save share) within the event. The Red Wings drafted Bednar within the fourth spherical in 2020 (107th general). They haven’t signed him but.
- Free agent invitee Jeremie Biakabutuka, nephew of former Michigan soccer megastar Tim Biakabutuka, performed all 3 video games on protection for Detroit. He was once +4, with two assists and one shot on objective.
- Finnish defenseman Eemil Viro had a just right event for Detroit. He performed 3 video games, was once +5 and scored a objective opposed to the Maple Leafs. He’s a slick skater, all the time neatly situated, unswerving in all spaces.